Home Entertainment Documentaries Historical Place Lahore Fort (aka. Shahi Qila)

Historical Place Lahore Fort (aka. Shahi Qila)

27 min read
1
80
Historical Place Lahore Fort

Lahore Fort also known as Shahi Qila is located in north-western corner of the historical city of Lahore. Though irregular in scheme the fort measures about 427 meters east-west and 335 meters north-south excluding the fortification wall added later during the Sikh rule of Maharaja Ranjit Singh (1799 – 1839 A.D).

The chequered history of the fort is a living witness of the zenith and nadir of the Mughals, the Sikhs and the colonial rulers. The art of the fort building is reflects a series of monuments from Emperor Akbar (ruled: 1556 – 1605) to the Aurangzeb (ruled: 1658 – 1707 ).

The court of Emperor Akbar occupies the south-east area of the fort but most of the building have been extinct and the Masti / Akbari is still facing the Maryam Zamani Mosque. The northern half of the fort with its architectural beauty is divided into six quadrangles; from Akbari Gate to Shish Mahal.

Shalimar Gardens Lahore

Lahore Fort and Shalamar Garden are enlisted as World Heritage Sites in 1981 by UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization). Presently the administrative control of Lahore fort and Shalamar Garden lies with Punjab Government, under Archaeology and Tourism Department of Punjab. A reasonable amount was allocated by Punjab Government in the year 2005-6, for the restoration and conservation of these two monuments.

Structures and Buildings of Lahore Fort:

Akbari Gate / Eastern Gate

Historical Place Lahore Fort - Akbari Gate 02
Akbari Gate

It was built by Emperor Akbar in about 1566 A.D. It was later on called the Masti a corruption of the word in local version Maseet (transformation in English: Mosque). The Empress of Akbar built a mosque outside this gate in 1614 A.D that still exists in good condition. The fort of Akbar’s time had two gates including Masti Gate. The other gate was later replaced by Alamgiri gate in 1673 A.D.

Diwan-e-Aam (Hall of Public Audience)

Historical Place Lahore Fort - Diwan-e-Aam 03
Diwan-e-Aam

Shah Jahan in his fourteenth year of his rule (year 1642 A.D) ordered to construct the hall of forty pillars and its construction was completed in under the supervision of Asif Khan (brother of Nur Jahan, the empress of Shah Jahan’s father, Jahangir). Diwan-e-Aam was collapsed when Sher Singh (son of Ranjit Singh) bombarded Lahore Fort by light guns fighting against Chand Kour the widow of Kharak Singh, the elder son of Ranjit Singh. The British rebuilt it after their occupation of the fort in 1849 A.D. The marble work in the state balcony in this area appears to be the earliest structural existing at Lahore Fort.

Diwan-e-Khas (Hall of Special Audience)

Historical Place Lahore Fort - Diwan-e-Khas 04
Diwan-e-Khas

It was constructed by Shah Jahan in 1645 A.D. It is an arched pavilion sheerly built in semi-chaste marble and its parapet was fashioned with pietra dura work (The art of inlaying semi-precious stones into white marble). There are excellent carved marble screens that are skillfully designed. In the middle of the pavilion a foundation with marble cistern enhanced its royal beauty.

Mohenjo Daro

Alamgiri Gate

Build by Emperor Aurangzeb Alamgir (ruled: 1658 – 1707 A.D) in 1673 in the west of the fortification wall, it opens in the Hazoori Bagh (Hazoori Garden). It shows a military and pleasing blend of strength, grace and grandeur as well. It has two semi-circular bastions decorated with lotus petal designs at the base.

Jahangir’s Quadrangle

Its construction was started by Akbar but completed by Jahangir in 1617-18 A.D. Having been built with the cost of seven lacs (Seven Hundred Thousands) of rupees. Its features reflect Hindu temple architecture referring the Akbar’s policy of tolerance. On the east and west row of dalans (porticos) encircle it and the red sandstone facade of dalans reflects Hindu art enriched with carved columns and elaborated brackets showing animal figurines. In the center of the north side , there is Jahangir’s sleeping room currently being used as Mughal Museum / Gallery. There is also a garden situated in Quadrangle having square marble Mahtabi (platform) in the middle for the use of musicians and dancing girls.

Khwabgah (Sleeping Chamber) of Shah Jahan

Historical Place Lahore Fort - khwabgah 05
Khwabgah

It was built by Shah Jahan in 1633 A.D and the work of its construction was entrusted to Wazir Khan (the founder of Wazir Khan Mosque). It existed on the southern end of Shah Jahan’s Quadrangle. It comprises five chambers laid in one row that are exceptionally brilliant with the perforated screen dressed in white marble.

The incised work known as Ghalib Kari in Urdu and stucco tracery on the arches of this monument are the main features of this building. Some fresco paintings are also visible interior of this sleeping chamber.

Moti Masjid (Pearl Mosque)

Historical Place Lahore Fort - moti masjid 06
Moti Masjid

It is one of those two mosques built in chaste marble by Emperor Shah Jahan. The second one was built at Agra Fort in 1654 A.D. Aurangzeb also constructed a mosque of the same type at Red Fort Delhi in 1662 A.D. They are all titled as Pearl Mosque because of their outlook imbued with white marble. The Sikh rulers in Punjab used the Pearl Mosque at Lahore Fort as treasury and named it as Moti Mandir (Pearl Temple).

Kala Burj (Watchtower)

This building also used to serve as a summer pavilion and it is similar to Lal Burj in many respects. It occupies north-west corner of Khilwat Khana (Place of Isolation). The topmost storey of the the roofs belongs to British period, being used as bar. The Chhajja (eave) of the Kala Burj is built with interlocked brick work.

Lal Burj (Watchtower)

The three storied summer pavilion of Lal Burj lies adjacent to Diwan-e-Khas and stands in the corner of Shah Jahan’s Quadrangle. The two stories (not the topmost, that was Sikh addition) together with the basement chambers are the beautiful work of Emperor Jahangir and Shah Jahan. The exterior is beautifully furnished with tile mosaic and filigree work, while the interior is a model of colorful fresco paintings.

Hammam-e-Shahi (Royal Bath)

It was built by Shah Jahan in about 1633 A.D. It lies adjacent to Shah Jahan’s Khwabgah (Sleeping rooms of Shah Jahan) on the west. Thus it is patterned on Turkish style, so it comprises Jama Khana (Dressing and undressing room). The bath also had the facility of warm and hot water.

Hathi Paer (Elephant Stairs)

Built by Emperor Shah jahan in 1631-32 A.D, it was meant for elephants carrying the royalty from and to the palace. So for the purpose, it starts Hathi Paer gate and ends on the outer courtyard of Shish Mahal. It has 58 low and broad steps measuring 216 inches in length and 18 feet and 8 inches in width.

Paien Bagh (Ladies Garden)

The main feature of the Mughal Garden is the provision of paved paths for the walkways. Paien Bagh was built for royal ladies to sustain their health. There is also a water basin in the middle of the spacious platform built built in brick work.

Ath Dara (A building having eight openings)

Maharaja Ranjit Singh, who ruled over Punjab, built it and used it for Kacheri (court). The gilt frescos paintings on its northern wall made by Maharaja Ranjit’s court artists reflect the style of Kangra School of Painting all around that speak loudly of its relation with Sikh period. Its ceiling is embellished with beautiful woodwork. The magnificent woodwork with beautiful mirror work is the recent restoration made by the Department of Punjab Archaeology. This monument was constructed at the place of the original entrance of Shish Mahal.

Shish Mahal (Palace of Mirrors)

Historical Place Lahore Fort - shish mahal 08
Shish Mahal

This celestial looking mirror palace is located in north-west corner of the fort. It is one of the most majestic palaces of the Mughal period. It was constructed under the supervision of Asif Khan for Emperor Shah Jahan in 1631-32 A.D. There is a spacious hall in front with several rooms behind and on the sides. The palace formed the Harm (Ladies portion) of the fort. The rear chamber houses a marble screen beautiful carved out in tendril, floral and geometrical patterns.

The chief features of Shish Mahal are

  1. Gillt work (placing of pure gold)
  2. Pietra dura work (inlay of semi-precious stones into white marble)
  3. Marble perforated screens
  4. The Aiena Kari (convex glass mosaic work) with Monabat Kari (stucco tracery)

The versatility of variegated marble stone slabs (Sang-e-Musa, Sang-e-Abri, Sang-e-Badal) added the beauty of spacious courtyard in front of the palace. The shallow water basin is constructed in the center of Mahal that comprises four jet fountains. The other building are connected with basin through the four water channels on each side.

Khilwat Khana (Place of Isolation)

Historical Place Lahore Fort - khilwat khana 07
Khilwat Khana

It was built by Shah Jahan in about 1633 A.D. It is located in the northern portion of the Paen Bagh. The plinth and door frames of the pavilion are of marble but its roof is curvilinear type.

Bangla Naulakha (Naulakha Pavilion)

Historical Place Lahore Fort - bangla naulakha 09
Bangla Naulakha

The name is after the cost of rupees nine lakhs, spent for its construction. This edifice is renowned for its entirely delicate and minute pietra dura work, wrought in semi-precious stone such as Agate, Jade, Lapis-Lazuli, and Goldstone etc. The ceiling of the pavilion is decorated with looking glass and wooden trellis. This splendor small pavilion is generally placed as one of the best architectural accomplishment of Mughal era.

Pictured Wall

The gorgeous being elaborated and vivid mosaic decoration in pleasing colors on plaster base is the main feature of the wall that was commenced by Emperor Jahangir in 1624-25 A.D but accomplished by Shah Jahan in 1631-32 A.D. The wall measuring nearly 457 meters in length and 17 meters in height, is the most representative relic of Mughal period. It mainly reflects the sports and pastimes of Mughal Emperors, nevertheless it exposes a variety of geometrical and floral patterns. The human figures on this presents a clear vision of the various styles of the mosaic are adorned in some hunting, fighting, dancing and mythological scenes. This art known in Persian as Kashi Kari because it originated from Kashan the city of Persia (Iran).

For extra info and visiting details goto : http://walledcitylahore.gop.pk/

  • Bhambore

    Historical Place Bhambore

    Bhambore (also called Banbhore) is situated at the distance of 64 km east of Karachi, …
  • Katas Raj Temple

    Historical Place Katas Raj Temple

    Katas Raj is located about 16 kilometers (10 miles) from Kallar Kahar on the road between …
  • Minar-e-Pakistan

    Historical Place Minar-e-Pakistan

    Minar-e-Pakistan is situated in Iqbal park Lahore, at the intersection of circular road an…
  • Shalimar Gardens Lahore 01

    Shalimar Gardens Lahore

    Lahore is famously known as the city of gardens as you will see a number of eye catching g…
  • Mohenjo Daro

    Mohenjo Daro

    People living in the contemporary world show great interest in the oldest known civilizati…
  • Are aliens all around us

    Are Aliens and UFOs all around us?

    With the rapid development of space technology, mankind has accelerated its search for ext…
Load More In Documentaries

Check Also

Historical Place Bhambore

Bhambore (also called Banbhore) is situated at the distance of 64 km east of Karachi, …